Martin Scorsese’s interpretation of Jordan Belfort’s memoir, „The Wolf of Wall Street,” may seem like a wild exaggeration of the 26-year-old millionaire’s life, though the truth is even more outrageous.
As one of the most successful stockbroker con-artists of the 1990s, Jordan Belfort’s memoirs display the „profit-over-all” culture of Wall Street – portraying the lifestyle in all of its „depraved glory.”
Here are the 12 craziest facts about Jordan Belfort’s actual life and career.
1. Belfort was earning $50 million a year, once reportedly making $12 million in three minutes.
2. He once generated a $700,000 hotel bill.
3. He confessed to making love to his wife on $3 million in $10,000 stacks of notes
4. He once landed his helicopter on his back lawn, flying with just one eye open because he was so stoned he had double vision.
5. He sank his 167ft motor yacht, complete with seaplane and helicopter, after overruling the captain and taking it into a Mediterranean storm.
6. Inside his Manhattan office, Belfort and his co-workers took turns tossing midgets at a bulls-eye.
7. He used his wife’s sweet old aunt as a mule, helping him smuggle money out of the US.
8. He woke up his secretary at 4 am because he was in London and ran out of drugs. An emergency supply was immediately sent out on Concorde.
9. He helped take Steve Madden, one of today’s most iconic fashion companies, public.
10. He woke up from a drug-filled bender with the police at his door — they arrested him for causing seven different accidents that he had no recollection of.
11. Forbes once referred to him as „a twisted version of Robin Hood, who robs from the rich and gives to himself and his merry band of brokers.”
12. He often charged prostitutes to his company card, even writing them off on his taxes.
Scorsese’s adaptation of Belfort’s memoirs remains ethically opposed to the lifestyles it portrays, inviting viewers to laugh both with and at its protagonists. In the film, Scorsese depicts the shallow nature of their obsessions in order to make them a prime mockery of the time period that these men helped to define.
The exceptional screenplay and performances, in conjunction with the intrigue provided by the true story itself make for a long story of debauchery that will have your eyes glued in front of you for three of the shortest hours of your life.
BUT for the REAL story without the Hollywood glitz, you need to meet the man himself. Join him and learn his success secrets that led to his meteoric rise. Live in Dublin!
Online Business & Marketing Sr. Consultant, Strategist